Saturday 14 December 2019

Learning something new.

I do not need to tell you how much I enjoy my evening jaunt down to feed the owls. Even mid week when I went out for a meal, I spruced myself up including make up and heels, then I exchanged the heels for wellies so I could drop the food off on my way out.



Part of the satisfaction comes from seeing those familiar patterns unfolding again and again. As the summer came to an end I was doubtful that I would have my fantastic winter fly pasts but here I am once more, encountering some of the most fabulous spectacles I have ever witnessed. It is immensely satisfying to walk down the road whistling and see the owls responding, flying upwards through the shed lights and turning effortlessly as they make their way over to the house to wait for me. As usual the outsider is sitting expectantly. It has found a safe place deep within the walnut tree branches and flies in first hoping for a quick getaway but midweek was chased by two of our adults. I watched by the light of the full moon as they flew low across the sodden fields. I do wish they were more tolerant. This is one familiar pattern I wish I didn't experience.



Similarly I am blessed to have the youngsters staying for the winter. Usually the adults would have sent them on their way by now but the routine here is that the autumn broods get to stay much longer. The extra food means they are allowed their safe roost and sustenance during the harshest of seasons. I have seen this again and again. It is one of the benefits of supplementary feeding and gives me an especial pleasure in knowing I am helping them in this way.



However, each year, each season, also teaches me something new. This year I have learned that the youngsters from two broods will mix together quite readily and I have witnessed the older ones feeding the younger ones and encouraging them out to find food for themselves. I have also been captivated to watch them roosting together in the barn, cuddled together on the beam. My morning photo has been a particular highlight as I count five or six birds most mornings so you can imagine my consternation when, after a few days without looking my photo revealed not a single bird and this has continued throughout the week.



My worries regarding the lack of roosting owls have been unfounded. At feeding time they tumble from the shed almost falling over each other in their haste. I regularly count four leaving whilst others fly close and wait on the dutch barn roof for their siblings to appear. I can only assume that they are roosting in the nest box now the weather is so cold.  Once more I have learned something new.




There is a new behaviour that has perplexed me but this week I am beginning to make sense of this too. Some nights the youngsters appear immediately from the shed whilst other night they stay inside hissing insistently for a good ten minutes. This behaviour doesn't seem linked to hunger or weather conditions. I think back to the night they all appeared whilst I stood close to get my photo. Indeed tonight they came out as I stood by the straw and watched me walk by as inconspicuously as possible. Suddenly I realise the link. They do not appear until they hear another bird outside. I assume they see this as their cue that all is safe and it is indeed a clever survival strategy. I think back to the time they heard the outsider land on their food platform. Unaware that it was an unfamiliar bird that was flying low and keen directly over my head they tumbled out assuming the coast was clear.



The year is nearly at a close. I wonder how many familiar patterns I will continue to have the pleasure to watch and whether I will learn anything new from my feathered friends in those final few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment